Thursday, June 28, 2012

So I Was Thinking....

Just to make it a little closer to equality and stuff, what if people would learn sign language?

That way, people with speech and hearing impairment would experience something that is closer to what they could have experienced had they not been born or tragically put into that kind of life.

Because yesterday, I was having a date with myself discussing some important things in a cafe when I saw this girl, who was waiting for someone. Then that someone turned out to be a girl with speech and hearing impairment. I think it is improper to look, err stare at her as though she was different, and she is, but let's not stick to that, but it is still against my conscience to make her uneasy just because I'm shoving the fact that she's different on her face. I was kind of amazed though, because of the effort that she puts through in volunteering to be the one to order their snack, which would have been, for me, a hard task, if ever I was on her shoes.

Then maybe, I am underestimating them. I underestimated their will to LIVE. Who said living is about being complete? As far as I understood, she was complete. There were just some unexplainable things that would make her look like she's not, but she is complete.

She communicates through sign language and through her phone, and I thought, man! That must be hard, learning everything. Her friend replies the same, but she can speak. 

Although I was glad that there were people whom she can communicate with, those people were few, and most of them are like her too. Her circle, her world is limited to those who can understand her and to those who can communicate with her. I have no chance of chatting with her freely unless I learn sign language too. And that's what makes me sad. 

So yeah, why don't we all try?

No comments:

Post a Comment